For the most part, the early History of Pullman School District 1880 – 1992 was researched by Midge Druffel Bashaw, PHS Class of 1949, and edited by Sue Druffel, PHS Class of 1958 for the 1992 PHS Centennial Reunion Memory Book. We are indebted to all of the hardworking folk who made that book possible.
Sue Dreffel recently posted on the facebook group PULLMAN HIGH SCHOOL – Washington – Vintage Edition, “The memory book has everything you would ever want to know about PHS from 1892-1992. It includes lists of students by class which was researched by many women in Pullman for this reunion as PHS had no prior records of students. In addition it covers tons of history on buildings, school policies, teacher salaries, tunes of each decade and on and on obtained from school board minutes by my sister Midge BASHAW. She also contributed amazing artwork for the book which I put together for the reunion. I believe this is the only publication with such wealth of information of the history of PHS. All 400 copies were sold and due to the publishing plant loosing the original copy in a flood more could not be printed. A copy is at the Whitman County Historical Society. I am in contact with the WSU Library Archival Department who has agreed to create a digital copy.”
We’ll keep you updated on the availability of the digital copy. Stay tuned.
Additional editing and content on this site is provided by contributors and Kathleen (Kay) Pierce PHS Class of 1969.
If you have additional history and photos, especially after 1972, please submit it through the “Contact Us” tab. Please share your photos. Submit images through the “Photo Gallery” tab.
1880 Pullman School District #59 was organized.
1881 A small, one-room school building was built on Main Street. In January, 1882, the first three-month term began with 24 students enrolled.
1888 A two-story, $4000 schoolhouse was built to the left of the wooden school. In 1890, three more classrooms were added.
1890 Washington Agricultural College and School of Science was established by the Washington Legislature on March 28, 1890, less than five months after statehood was declared on November 11, 1889.
1891 The school district reported having 200 students and 4 teachers in 4 rooms of the two-story school when contractors began laying brick for the new $30,000 12-room brick building. Located on the NW corner of Main and State Streets, this building was called the CITY SCHOOL BUILDING, later known as the HIGH SCHOOL, and still later as the LINCOLN SCHOOL. See: http://www.gladishcommunity.org/community/history.html
1892 A new brick building was dedicated October 21st and was occupied by students grades 1-8, marking the beginning of graded public school education for all 338 children enrolled.
Pullman School building dedicated October 21, 1892. Photo is from 1906.
1892 Washington Agricultural College and School of Science (WAC) was opened. WAC President Lilly presented the courses of study to the regents, who adopted them. Seven Chairs were established. On January 13, 1892, the college opened in the one story 36′ X 60′ building that become known as the “crib”. So, a university was born in a state that had at this time only three cities maintaining high schools. The first college catalog lists 21 freshman and 63 preparatory students. Forty students were from Pullman. There were woman as well as men who registered the first day. by Julia H. Bush
1893 District Enrollment: June, 438 students; December 358 students.
1894 District enrollment: January, 364 students.
1895 District enrollment: December, 300 students.
1896 July-August: Discussion of establishing an independent kindergarten in Pullman took place.
1898 District enrollment: October enrollment: 1st-54; 2nd-42; 3rd 35; 4th-47; 6th-37; 8th-30; and 9th-26.
1898 District enrollment (only one month later): November 25th report to the School Board indicated 389 pupils were enrolled with 97% attendance and 45 cases of tardiness!
1899 The School Board decided that the district would have “9 months school beginning September 11”. Teachers were paid $50 per month, Principal, $100 and Vice-Principal, $70.
1900 – 1909
1900 In November, the school Board disciplined a teacher for having missed a teachers’ meeting prior to opening of school term, “according to the penalties described in the rules…namely, one day’s pay to be deducted from December pay.”
1900 March: the system of pupil government was adopted at “Pullman Public School.” 10th grade was added to Pullman Public School; students wishing to continue their education enrolled in Washington Agricultural College Preparatory School on College Hill, then called “Mechanic’s Hill.”
1900 District enrollment: December, 395 students.
1901 Oct 8th: The School Board “Ordered that all non-resident pupils will pay a tuition of $.50 per month in advance…provided that in case the attendance for said pupils is claimed by the district wherein the pupil resides, then said pupils shall pay Dist. 59 $1.50 per month.” The board also ordered that teachers be in their rooms 20 minutes before the opening of the school!
1901 Students were required to pass State of Washington 8th Grade Examination before being admitted into 8th grade.
1902 January: The School Board ordered that the school year be extended to 10 months to provide extra work necessary to raise the standard of work so that the one-year high school could be accredited.
1902 District enrollment: August, 664 students.
1902 The bell from old school was sold to Christian Church in Thornton, for $50 with the proceeds given to the library.
1904 S. C. Roberts became Superintendent of Schools and decided there would be no more graduation exercises (having been held in the old opera house on Grand Street) until a class was ready to receive diplomas of graduation from an accredited four-year high school course of study.
1905 District enrollment: September: High School-142; 7th-82; 6th-57; 3rd-40; 2nd-36; and 1st-71. Overcrowding made it necessary to rent room in the Congregational Church for one of the primary classes.
1906 The first EDISON school building (a two-story wooden structure), was built on College Hill, north of Colorado Street, between Ruby and Monroe Streets, in the location of the current Adam’s Mall parking lot.
1906 Athletics were organized at PHS. “The Pullman High School athletic association has organized under the Whitman county athletic association rules, and plans are being made for the year’s sports. The school grounds are to be graded, and two tennis courts and an outdoor basketball ground laid out. The high school football team has also been organized, and challenges any High School team in Whitman County.” source: The Pullman Herald, Vol XIX, Number 4, Page 1, October 20, 1906.
“In the second year (1906) of his superintendency, a suggestion given by Mr. Roberts led the students to get out a very creditable annual. The financial part of this undertaking was looked after by Clair Fulmer, and owing to the Business ability shown by him, the class escaped being burdened with a debt following the issue of the book.”
1907 A new department, known as the Department of Elementary Science, was created by WSC faculty. As a result, the preparatory school classes were displaced by this new department which was reported to correspond with the 11th and 12th grades and “prepared the student for returning to the farm.” 1907 Memory Book was issued [now stored at PHS.]
1908 The first FRANKLIN school, a wooden building facing Water Street, was built on “Methodist Hill” (now known as Pioneer Hill). This building had a library and five classrooms.
1909 The 12th grade was added at the high school; football began.
1910 First year for competitive basketball at high school.
Pullman High School Football Team, c. 1910
1910 First class to graduate from a Pullman four-year high school course of study. The class roster lists 18 members: five men, thirteen women.
Pullman Herald May 13, 1919 front page, upper right column declares, “TWENTY-ONE GRADUATES Pullman High School Will Graduate Biggest Class In County”. The Pullman Herald listed twenty-one graduates, “Following is the list of young men and women who will receive their diplomas showing they have completed the full term of the high school and have the honor of receiving the first diplomas ever issued by the full high school of Pullman: Esther Bull, Clara Lafollette, Clifford Folger, Nina Fulton, Anita Gallagher, Samuel Henig, Gladys Sutton, Lelia Moore, Joy Baines, Harry Locklin, Meleene Lafollette, Flossie Klemgard, Samuel Hunt, Gwendolin Wild, Florence Windus, Frank Piper, Gladys Duthie, Ruby Nye, Paul Weeks, Margaret Simmons, and Ella Hennick. The Commencement Ceremony was held Thursday evening May 19, 1910 in the Pullman Auditorium.
1911 Franklin 4th and 7th grades moved to the high school building. An article appearing in the 1911-12 “The Leader”, written by History teacher Mrs. M. E. Jenne, credits Supt. S. C. Roberts with having been instrumental in the publishing of [perhaps] the first “annual.” [see 1907, now stored at PHS]
1913 A high school building was constructed to right of the 1891 building for a cost of $28,000. This structure contained an assembly room with a stage, six classrooms, library, office, gym, manual training room, laboratory and two stairways.
1915 A Memory book, “Alkiwawa” was issued (now stored at PHS). It noted that the “Alkiwawa” staff was helped by WSC “Chinook” manager.
1921 Edison was so overcrowded that sixth grade moved to “lower room” in 1891 building on Main Street.
1921 The high school began publishing the “Hi Times” school newspaper. An article on December 5th “Hi Times” reported the declining grades and suggested some students may not be able to continue with school. A teacher stated that “if many of the pupils would quit going to picture shows, parties, and dances through the school week, the scholarship would be better.”
1923 PHS students were graded on Scholarship, Initiative, Attitude, Cooperation, and Individual Improvement.
1926 The new EDISON school brick building opened September 6th for grades 1-6. It was built directly in front of the 1906 wooden building, nearer to Colorado Street. This building was renamed Adams Elementary in 1950 when the third Edison building was built on Stadium Way.
1927 District Enrollment: 942 students.
1929 Oscar E. Gladish begins first of 34 years as Principal of PHS.
1929 The “first unit” of new 3-unit high school complex was planned to replace the 1892 Lincoln School for a cost of $54,000 The four classrooms of this unit, which became known as the “New Lincoln School”, were used to house 7th and 8th grades when school opened in September. http://www.gladishcommunity.org/community/history.html
1930 Salaries: Supt. $2,700; Average teacher salary, $1,136 per year.
1931 District enrollment: September, 831 students (including 316 at PHS)
1932 District enrollment: September, 837 students (including 317 at PHS)
1933 District enrollment: September, 756 students (including 276 at PHS)
1933 Farmers complained that it took one-third of their crop to pay their taxes. “Whitman County Farmers Protective Association” met in March and adopted a resolution urgently requesting that directors of various county schools operate under the maximum wage scale adopted at the Whitman County School Director’s meeting in February.
1933 Schools felt the effects of the Depression! The School Board approved a plan to reduce teacher pay 15% for the next school year in order to save district $6,304.
1933 Tuition for grade school pupils whose parents lived out of district was set at $40 a semester.
1933 FIRE! The PULLMAN HERALD, May 5, 1933 issue gave report of “Lincoln Grade School Building” (1891 bldg) fire. Subsequent issues told of School Board deliberations with regard to whether or not they should tear down remainder of building and rebuild rather than renovating what was left.
1933 October 3, 1933 HI TIMES….”High school curricula throughout the state have been revised by the State board of Education providing a more flexible schedule to meet the needs of individual students.” The new curricula is described as being less rigid. “Requirements for graduation now include 3 years of English; 2 years of History and Social Studies; 1 year of Science; 1 year minimum in mathematics (may include general or applied mathematics where algebra and geometry are not taken); a minimum of 1 year in Home Economics or Home Relations for girls; an opportunity for ensemble work in music under competent direction; and an approved 2 year program in health and physical education.”
1933 December 22, 1933, HI TIMES…”For the year 1930, of the total income of the state, 3.4% was used for total school support, whereas the average for all states was 3.35%. Of the 12 western states, the State of Washington spent the least amount of her income for school support.”
1934 February 20, 1934 HI TIMES…Girls Letter Club was formed.
1934 PULLMAN HIGH SCHOOL BUILDING was constructed following April 1933 fire which did extensive damage to the 1892 brick building. This new 3-story building included 8 classrooms; it stood between and was connected to the 1913 units, the architecture being very similar to that of the 1929 building. See: http://www.gladishcommunity.org/community/history.html
1934 District Enrollment: 774 students (including 308 at PHS).
1934 October 23, 1934 HI TIMES…”It is indeed surprising to find how many business establishments there are in this small town.” Population 3,000 plus college brings another 3,000. Businesses listed: 10 grocery stores; 13 restaurants, cafes, lunch rooms (5 on College Hill); 5 tailor shops; 2 laundries; 9 barber shops (3 on College Hill); 3 beauty parlors; 2 shoe stores; 3 department stores; 2 shoe repair shops; 6 garages; 5 service stations; 88 dairies; 1 creamery; 8 doctors and 4 dentists; 5 drug stores; and over 80 other businesses. The city’s population included 330 teacher (public schools and college combined).
1934 November 6, 1934 HI TIMES reported that high school report cards will be a bit different. In addition to the usual grading of high school students in subject matter, students will be graded on “fairness, interest, initiative, cooperation, carefulness and application.
1935 “No more ink on our nice new floors.” To make it unnecessary for high school students to keep ink in their lockers, Supt. McGlade initiated system of installing new ink wells with two compartments (one for cleaning out the pen and one for refilling) throughout the new high school building.
1935 District Enrollment: 818 students.
1935 September 24, 1935, HI TIMES Two new courses added to high school curriculum: Music/Art Appreciation, and Chemistry. (Supt. McGlade had been studying performance of PHS graduates in WSC college courses and discovered they had consistently performed poorly in college Chemistry).
1935 March 26, 1935, HI TIMES Report that “Souvenir memory books for seniors” were being made and sold by the Home Economics Club.
1936 Lyrics to PHS fight song, “Come Join Our Band”, were written by Arthur Cross, a high school junior who came from Aberdeen. Lyrics were sung to the tune of “The New Colonial March” by Robert Hall. Arthur played the trumpet and french horn. “Hi Times” article of October 20, 1936 stated that Arthur had “won 2nd in the Southwest Washington Musical Meet last spring.
1936 February 18, 1936, HI TIMES Reports that Washington State History” class offered for the first time.
1936 May 5, 1936, HI TIMES…”Fred Rounds will present plans to the School Board for approval for the permanent preservation of the corner stone of the old building (1891 building which burned in April 1933 fire) and of the school bell. J. R. Herman is landscaping the lawn and working with Mr. Rounds to improve the appearance of the school grounds. (This was probably the bell which stood in front of the entrance to Lincoln Junior High School until it disappeared after construction of the 1953 addition.)
1936 PULLMAN HERALD August 21, 1936: New course of study adopted for 7th and 8th grades; class periods to be same length as those in high school. 4 main subjects: Mathematics, Social Studies, Science, and English. In addition, Shop for boys, Home Ec for girls, P.E., Music, Art, Clubs and Homeroom.
1936 September 22, 1936, HI TIMES Two new courses added to high school curriculum: Architectural Drawing and Parliamentary Procedure.
1936 PHS Enrollment: 309 students.
1938 Beginning of country school consolidation: between 1938 and April 1942, 18 area Whitman County country schools were consolidated with the Pullman School District.
1939 Second FRANKLIN school two story brick building, facing Dexter Street, was dedicated and occupied.
1939 District had fleet of 6 school buses which transported 191 pupils at a cost of $7,679.50.
1940 District Enrollment: December, 905 students.
1940 PULLMAN HERALD May 5, 1940 issue: Article reporting on Supt. Charles McGlade’s philosophy on necessity of maintaining a balance between “learned needs” and academic standards. PHS Memory Books collection is established. (There obviously are some years during which memory books were not printed. Stored at PHS are memory books for 1907, 1911-12 “The Leader”, 1915 “Alkiwawa”, and Kamiakins from 1940 on.)
1941 Johnson Public schools closed and consolidated with Pullman and Colton schools.
1941 PULLMAN HERALD August 29, 1941 issue: Consideration to change 7th and 8th grade program “so that more time can be given to Music, Art, and Physical Education”….Science to be reduced from 5 to 3 days per week.
1941 SALARIES: Supt. $3,600; HS Principal $2400; Teachers $1,200-$1,920; Sub-teachers $5.00 per day.
1942 School Board voted to waive the marriage clause in contract of teacher Miss Dorothy Ewy.
1942 “Due to Federal regulations”, Board rescinded policy which allowed use of school buses by students for purposes other than regular class work for duration of the war.
1942 Board agreed that “funds should be made available to increase teachers’ salaries to meet the increase cost of living and competition with industry.”
1942 Board granted teacher Franklin French’s request for “leave of absence” to enter US Army.
1942 Entire December 17th meeting was devoted to discussion of a kindergarten: Mr. Pettibone presented petitions signed by 474 citizens and asked that the “School Board curtail all other activities and give the kindergarten first priority over other projects.” No action was taken.
1942 Board decided to permit the organization of a pre-military club in the high school as a voluntary activity.
1942 – 1944 A number of Pullman High School boys chose to interrupt their education to enlist in the branch of service of their choice and serve their country in WW II.
1943 Position of “grade school supervisor” created, salary not to exceed $2,500 per year.
1943 SALARIES: Supt. $4,540; HS Principal $2,975; Teachers $1,600-$2,310; Sub-teachers $6.00 per day.
1944 Board approved plan to transport Albion High School students to PHS for 1944-45 school year.
1945 SALARIES: Supt. $4,540; HS Principal $3,415; Teachers $2,100-$2,916.
1945 Board decides to grant teacher a “leave of absence” if requests were made in advance and related to the war, with no pay deduction for first five days and only substitute pay deducted for second 5 days.
1945 Dr. Cushing met with board to discuss problem of non-reading pupils in local schools and asked that a teacher trained in remedial reading be hired. No action was taken.
1945 Residents ask district to take over operation of the kindergarten being run by the AAUW; Board declined as there was a question of space for a permanent kindergarten.
1945 Albion School District consolidates with Pullman. The primary grades continued in Albion for two more years before the school was completely closed in 1947.
1945 Truant officer appointed for the district by the Board, to be paid $1.50 plus car mileage for each call.
1945 Military Hill residents met with Board and made a plea, “in a spirited discussion”, for construction of a school on Military Hill, objecting to the “Durham plan” which called for two district elementary schools, expanding Franklin to accommodate students from Pioneer to Sunnyside hills and a NEW EDISON to be constructed on a site off Harvey Road to serve students from Military and College Hills.
1950 New EDISON Elementary School, built on the north hillside of Stadium Way between Monroe Street and Harvey Road, was occupied in February, serving rural, College Hill, and Military Hill students. Old Edison on Colorado Street was renamed Adams.
1950 Completion of seventeen classroom addition to PULLMAN HIGH SCHOOL, built directly behind the 1934 building; cost: $178,000. See: http://www.gladishcommunity.org/community/history.html
1951 Seven classroom/office wing at new EDISON on Stadium Way was occupied in December.
1953 Establishment of a privately funded kindergarten, housed in ADAMS, (old Edison) which cooperated with the district to coordinate its instructional program with that of the 1st grades.
1953 Completion of the gymnasium and 4 additional classroom addition to PULLMAN HIGH SCHOOL, costing approximately $260,000. This addition covered the south side (and Main Street entrance) of the 1929 Lincoln unit. The High School now fills the block between Main, State, Olsen and Church Streets. See: http://www.gladishcommunity.org/community/history.html
1953 District ENROLLMENT: 1432 students. SALARIES: Supt. $8,800; HS Principal $6,010; Teachers $3,280-$5,410.
1955 This project was completed in the spring of 1955, and was the final major project. See: http://www.gladishcommunity.org/community/history.html 1956 District and county supported WHITMAN SPECIAL SCHOOL for students with disabilities; half-day classes were held in the home of Ed Olson. Later, classes were held in the Baptist and Congregational churches.
1956 SCHOOL BUS GARAGE, located across from Hilltop, was built.
1957 Auto shop was built on east side of State Street, across from PHS.
1957 One-story multi-purpose room/classroom wing was added to FRANKLIN.
1957 Board moved to take steps to change Pullman School District from a “second class” to a “first class” school district and hired an Administrative Assistant.
1958 New addition to the PHS cafeteria along with kitchen renovation.
1958 “Because of the additional pressure to permit pregnant teachers to continue teaching to the point where their health might be jeopardized and they could not do a satisfactory job of teaching”, the Board entered the following clause in the teacher contract: “Women teachers, if pregnant, shall not teach after the sixth month, and this contract is terminated.” This clause remained in the contract until 1972.
1959 Present JEFFERSON elementary school was built on Military Hill. 1960’s 1960 WHITMAN SPECIAL SCHOOL classes moved from Franklin to Edison.
1962 LINCOLN JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL (now Lincoln Middle School) was built on Pioneer Hill.
1962 Teen-aged members of Whitman Special School moved to Lincoln Junior High School and students were mainstreamed into non-academic classes for portion of school day.
1966 Additional classroom wing was built onto LINCOLN JR. HIGH.
1966 Federal funding was obtained for Title I remedial reading program.
1967 Present day SUNNYSIDE elementary was built on Sunnyside Hill.
1968 Private kindergarten became part of Pullman Public School system. Ours was now a K-12 system!
1969 Administrative offices moved from PHS basement to rented space above Oriental restaurant on Grand Avenue. Female faculty and students were allowed to wear slacks (not shorts) on the final school day in June.
1970 Dress code policy changed to allow female students, faculty and staff to wear pants, but not shorts or denim jeans. PULLMAN HERALD reports that females in Pullman are following latest fashion trend by wearing pant suits. Franklin teacher, describing the practicality of the fashion, was quoted as saying, “We don’t have to worry about constantly pulling our skirts down while bending over the children while they work.”
1970 Construction began on new Pullman High School building.
1971 Administrative office moved into Adams building.
The entire summer was spent sorting and packing the “Old PHS” contents, and moving and unpacking it along with the new furnishings; books; supplies; trophies; office misc; and, etc.
WHEW! What an undertaking and exhausting summer!
1972 Fall: “New” PULLMAN HIGH SCHOOL BUILDING, located on Military Hill, was occupied and classes resumed. 1973 was the first class to graduate from the “New” PHS building.
1972 Lincoln Junior High School became LINCOLN MIDDLE SCHOOL, serving students grades 5-8; a second middle school, GLADISH MIDDLE SCHOOL, was established, grades 5-8 being housed in the old PHS building (on April 20, 1972, the school board had named this building GLADISH MIDDLE SCHOOL to honor Oscar E. Gladish who had served as Principal of the building for 34 years prior to his retirement in 1963).
1976 Administrative offices moved to Gladish Middle School building.
1978 GLADISH MIDDLE SCHOOL was closed, 5th grade classes were moved back to elementary schools, and LINCOLN MIDDLE SCHOOL became only institution of learning for grades 6-8.
1979 Gymnasium storage area added at Lincoln Middle School.
1979 District ENROLLMENT: 2370 students.
1981 Stadium Way EDISON school closed after serving for 31 years.
1982 Special education facilities built at SUNNYSIDE.
1983 Office area was expanded at Lincoln.
1984 Fabrication shop addition constructed at PULLMAN HIGH SCHOOL.
1985 District ENROLLMENT: 2209 STUDENTS
SALARIES: SUPT $55,180; HS PRINCIPAL $46,300; TEACHERS $15,511 to $30,402
1990 State of Washington Teacher’s Salary Schedule adopted for Pullman Teachers (retroactive to Fall 1989).
1991 District ENROLLMENT: 2185 students.
1992 District ENROLLMENT: 2221 students; overcrowding at elementary level necessitated moving portable classrooms to Sunnyside site.
1992 SALARIES: Supt. $78,626; HS Principal $58,842-$62,842; Teachers $21,425-$44,942.
1997 Pullman School District sells Gladish Middle School to the Not-for-profit organization, Friends of Gladish, for $500,000. Building is renamed Gladish Building , also known as Gladish Community and Cultural Center. See: http://www.gladishcommunity.org/community/history.html 1998 Gladish Building is entered into National Register of Historical Places: Buildings # 98001017.
ABOUT PULLMAN HIGH SCHOOL: Pullman High School is a U.S. public high school in the city of Pullman, Washington.
Up to and including 2010, it is the only public high school in the city and in the Pullman School District (#267). It is a four-year high school, accepting students from one local public middle school and three public elementary schools as well as other schools around the area in different towns for grades 9, 10, 11, and 12.[The only middle school the city has is Lincoln Middle School.]
Pullman high school has one of the highest passing rates for the WASL in the state for public schools.. The school was named a national Blue Ribbon School in 2008.
Pullman High School’s facilities are divided into three areas: the main school building and two wings that house the “breezeways” connecting them. Many have compared the school’s layout to that of a “Mickey-Mouse Head” (one large square connected to two small squares located on the upper corners of the larger square). The school has a two floor library. The down stair is for class computer lab and after school program.
Pullman High School used to be held in what is now Gladish Community and Cultural Center. The last class to graduate from the 115 NW State Street location was 1972. Classes resumed at the location on Military Hill in September 1972.
Pullman High School is a member of the Great Northern League, and offers football, volleyball, wrestling, basketball, cheer leading, swimming, cross-country, track and field, golf, tennis, baseball, softball, soccer, as well as numerous other extracurricular activities.
The Pullman High School football team between 1954 – 1958 under the direction of Ray Hobbs, had the longest winning streak of 35 games in Washington’s history of high school football. The streak was broken by Wallace, coached by Mike Riley’s (Head Coach of Oregon State University in 2009-2010) father, Bud Riley, on October 25, 1957 (known as “PHS Black Day”). PHS wrestling team during these years under the direction of Bill Pierson became State Champs in 1957 and District Champs in 1958.
In the 2005-06 school year, Pullman High School won the State 2A baseball, football and volleyball championships.
In the 2006-2007 school year, the girls swim team went almost undefeated in their pre district meets.
In the 2007-08 school year, Girls Volleyball, Girls Swim, Boys Baseball, Girls Softball, Girls and Boys Track, Girls Basketball, Girls and Boys Tennis, and Boys Swim all participated in their state tournaments.
For the 2008-09 year, football finished 5th in state, volleyball finished 4th in state, boys basketball went 8th in state, while the girls basketball finished 5th in state, baseball and softball games are still going. The Girls Softball team won the league title for the first time ever in the ’08-’09 school year.
NFL hall of famer John Elway spent one year at Pullman High. Elway’s father Jack, then an assistant football coach at Washington State, became the head coach at Cal State-Northridge in 1976, and the Elways moved to Southern California, where John attended his final two years of high school at Granada Hills High School in Granada Hills, in the San Fernando Valley.
School Mascot and Colors
Pullman High Schools’ mascot is the Greyhound, with the school colors being blue and gray.
Click the middle button to hear a live recording of the 2010 PHS Band playing the PHS Fight Song:
PHS Fight Song
Come join our band, and sing a song for blue and gray
Proudly we stand, our banners waving all the way -2-3-4
Pullman’s for you, our banners waving tried and true
With might and mane, sing this refrain
Forever-ever-ever Pullman High. PULLMAN HIGH!!
Pullman High School offers a great deal of extracurricular activity including: Drama (Member of the International Thespian Society) which took best in feast at the state festival, JSA Junior Statesmen of America is the largest student organization at Pullman High, Band, Math Team (state champions 2006-2007), Knowledge Bowl, Choir, Yearbook, ASB, Key Club, Science Bowl, Knowledge Bowl, FFA, FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America), FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes), Recycling Club, and Orchestra.